 Robotics / Handy Board / 7204
Re: silly question or not??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 03:30:18 GMT

No, its not a stupid question.  Just impossible.  At least kind of
impossible.

If you want 32 more outputs using the board as-configured, forget it.
With what is available for chip selects minus what you have used
already, you can get 16 more.  All that was available to begin with was
$4000, $5000 and $6000.  Fred uses $7000.

By studying and doing some hand wiring, you can get as many outputs as
you could conceivably ever use.  But first, you must understand how to
get what you want by reading "the 6.270 Robot Builder's Guide" from this
page:
http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/techdocs/appendxb.pdf

Look at about page 189 of the .pdf file.  You will see that as things
are, you have to get some more address space by tapping into address
lines and using some gates the same way Fred uses A15.  Reading the
6.270 guide should help you understand.

There is also a section in "Mobile Robots, From Inspiration to
Implementation," 2 ed. that will help you understand.  I don't have my
book handy, so I can't give you the page, but it's in there.

Good luck, and happy wiring.

Gary Livick

Brennan wrote:

Im sorry if this is a stupid question....... no1 has answered..... or
does no1 know????  Hello everyone...I hav already connected a hc374 to
Y0 of the expansion bus to get 8 digital outs, It works gr8. I need
anouther 32 outputs which meens I need 4 more latch selects. Can I use
Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, and Y5 if needed? Y0 is used by poke(0x4000, Data) ,
what address do I poke for Y1 through Y5.  I have already searched
through the mail archive and could not find much. I dont need the
motor drivers on this board which leaves Y6 spare as well. Thanks in
advance.Brennan

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii