 Robotics / Handy Board / 7170
Re: Where is dl for unix?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 18:15:21 GMT

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Fred G. Martin wrote:

they're in the IC distribution tar file.  see the link for Unix versions at
<http://el.www.media.mit.edu/projects/handy-board/software/base.html>

Another note regarding this:  The dl that I'm using is an a.out version
rather than an elf executable, and I quite often need to use it on a Red
Hat 6.x version of Linux.  Red Hat 6.0 and later doesn't have a.out support
running automatically, so as root you need to load
"/lib/modules/<kernel version>/fs/binfmt_aout.o"

"insmod binfmt_aout.o" is the command I think.  I don't remember whether
you need the ".o" or not, but use "insmod binfmt_aout" if not.

For those that are curious:  a.out is the old executable format used
for Linux, and elf is the newer format.  The command above just adds
in a kernel module to the running kernel to enable it to recognize and
use a.out executables.  It will have no ill effects.

The other fix for this problem is to recompile dl from sources, but I
haven't gotten around to doing this yet.  Once I do that it'll be an
elf executable.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM@tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin
"Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U