 Robotics / Handy Board / 7123
Re: Flame sensors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:24:31 GMT

Hi,
We had very good luck in last years Trinity College contest with some cheap
IR Photo transistors.  We got some DIGI-KEY QSD422QT-ND photo transistors and
found they gave us very good discrimination even at 4 feet away (which was
the maximum range we cared about).  These units are almost black.  We tried
some of the clear Radio Shack photo transistors but they got spoofed by
variations in room lighting.  We set up an array of 5 of these on top of the
robot looking at different angles and they worked great.

Barry

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, handyboard@media.mit.edu (Greg Starr) writes:
I would like to do a fire-fighting competition next semester in our LEGO
class (like Trinity college, though much smaller scale).  What kind of
sensors are useful with the Handy Board for detecting flames?

Thanks.

--greg

* Greg Starr, Professor                                         *
* Department of Mechanical Engineering        ph (505) 272-7156 *
* University of New Mexico, Albuquerque NM 87131   FAX 277-7152 *
* email- starr@unm.edu  WWW- http://www.me.unm.edu/~starr/      *