 Robotics / Handy Board / 6981
Re: Sonar Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:36:20 GMT

Danny,
The Polaroid 6500 is very common, and if you have the expansion board
on your HB you have a built in connection.  There are drivers on the
MIT HandyBoard site.  The units are available from Acroname and they
also have a good fact sheet.
   http://el.www.media.mit.edu/projects/handy-board/software/sonar.html
   http://www.acroname.com/robotics/info/articles/sonar/sonar.html

Before deciding on sonar for ranging you might take a look at using
the GP2D02 IR ranging unit.  Info at:
   http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R19-IR02.html

If you are only looking for obstacle detection/avoidance, then a
simple IRPD unit will be easier and cheaper.  Dennis Clark has one
that works well at:
   http://www.verinet.com/~dlc/botlinks.htm

Have fun,
- Nick -

Danny Gratton wrote:

I'm designing a robot detection/obstacle avoidance system. And I want to
install some Sonar sensor.  I'm wondering if anyone would know of any good
sonar sensor that can easily be used with the HB and that give good results?
Any info on this would be excellent!