 Robotics / Handy Board / 6973
Re: motor current trick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 03:13:51 GMT

A couple of easy things that you can do to increase the current
capabilities of the motor drivers are: (1) replace the L293Ds with
SN754410 chips (available from Acroname), and (2) piggyback one
H-bridge chip on top of the other to handle almost double the max
current.  I haven't tried paralleling the motor driver outputs
myself, but I seem to remember it being mentioned on this list
some time ago.

Good luck,
- Nick -

Jonathan Pennington wrote:

I've got a great R/C track vehicle that I want to use as a robot
chassis, problem is the 1 Amp motors. I was going to use Kam's
suggestion, but then I saw the Sonar schematics. I noticed that the
sonar schematics have power coming from the motor outputs in parallel to
increase the current to the sensors range. Can I do that with a motor?
It seems that I could code it so that one call starts two motor outputs
simultaneously, and run the outputs in parallel to get a current pretty
near 1A. That's even simpler than Kam's idea.

Of course, I'm assuming that since I haven't seen it brought up before,
that it's not a good option, I just like to keep things simple. I don't
want to stress anything, but it seems to me that that would work. Any
ideas?
Jonathan Pennington             |       -Wannabe Geologist/Anthropologist
Charleston, SC                  |       -Linux User and Advocate
Email at jwp(at)awod.com        |       83 V45 Magna "The Lighter Side"
root@localhost (Spambot food)   |       71 Triumph TR6C "Money Pit"