 Robotics / Handy Board / 6966
Re: fried memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:08:50 GMT

it might not be permanently dead, but if it's not, it's not working.

one (or more) of the outputs of these two chips is probably shorted to
ground or shorted to +5v.  the chips get hot when they try to drive
this output to a state other than the one it is shorted to.

with power off, get out your voltmeter and measure continuity from
each of the hc132 and ram pins to +5v and gnd.  find the pin(s) that
stuck in one of these states and shouldn't be.

fred

In your message you said:
I suspect that I fried my memory chip.  The handyboard downloads
Pcode perfectly, but when it tries to synchronize with interactive C,
I get an error.  While the board is off the 62256-12LP and the 74HC132
chips stay hot. is there a good diagnostic that I can perform to see
whether or not the chip is actually dead?

thanks
-Kevin Peterson