 Robotics / Handy Board / 6896
Re: NEW POWER SUPPLY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 21:46:38 GMT

Great solution Gary!  How about just pulling the L293D/SN754410 from
the U11 socket, bending pin-8 out and soldering the REALLY BIG battery
positive lead to it, then soldering the negative lead to pin-1 without
bending it out, and then reinstalling the chip.  It doesn't save much
money since there wasn't much money involved, but it does save quite
a bit of time.  Biggest benefit is that if you use the HB on more
than one project, all that needs to be done to switch back and forth
is to have an extra chip on hand ... swap the modified chip for the
unmodified one.

Your method provides and very easy way to change the driver chip to
a much higher power chip such as the 298L.

- Nick -

Gary Livick wrote:

This was explained a week or two ago here on the list server.  Check back
and you'll find out what traces to cut, etc.

However, I have found another way that is very simple, and does not require
you to make difficult-to-fix cuts on your boards.  Just add another 16 pin
socket onto the user area on your expansion board.  Remove one of the L293
chips and set it aside.  Use 20 ga solid hook-up wire, and take all the
signals, the 5v and ground line from the socket with the removed chip over
to the new socket.  You can push the wires into the socket at the old
location, and solder at the other socket.  Don't connect the motor leads
from the old socket to the new.  Instead, connect the motors you want to
use to the motor output ports on the new socket.  Bring the power leads
from your REALLY BIG battery to the new socket, and connect +12 to pin 8
and common to the board common (on the socket).  Plug the L293 into the new
socket and hang on, we're goin' places!

I just did this, and it works great.  If you have the room for a seperate
board, you can build this up and include a charger plug-in same as what is
on the HandyBoard.  That way you can use the HandyBoard charger to charge
your 12 volt gel cell.  You can also hang lots of motor-direction LED's and
a charge light if you want.

Total cost is less than two donuts.  Time is about two hours to wire up.

Gary Livick