 Robotics / Handy Board / 6835
6834  |  6836
Subject:
Using separate motor power source with Expansion board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 03:31:35 GMT

Hi all, I have just modified my handy board to work with a 12V motor power
source without doing much modification to the Expansion board. If anyone is
interested in doing the same, just follow the directions listed below.

1. Follow the direction on cutting the motor power trace as indicated on the
HB's site.

2. Solder the new motor source to the HB on the "solder side" of the PCB. You
should leave the original header on the HB, it  will help keeps expansion
board sturdy.

3. De-solder the pass-through motor power pins on the Expansion board or just
snip it off with a plier and solder the HB's 9.6V supply to the same pins
location on the Expansion board. Now the expansion board is not sharing the
same source through the motor header anymore but you still get the same 9.6V
as before. Make sure the polarities of the leads are correct or you will
damaged the expansion board.

4. To be on the safe side, add a low profile heatsink to each of the two 293D
motor drivers on the HB to keep them cool.

Good luck.
Rob