 Robotics / Handy Board / 6733
Re: RF Module
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 04:39:36 GMT

Hi.

Have you tried attaching the data out (middle pin on three pin header)
from the encoder board to the data in (also middle pin on three pin
header) on the decoder with a common ground to each?  This will allow you
to test the encoder/decoder boards without the radio modules.

As for tuning the variable capacitor on the transmitter and receiver
boards, the best way is to set up a 0-5v square wave ~1KHz on a function
generator and plug it into the data in of the transmitter.  Supply power
and ground to each (doesn't have to be common) and watch the data out on
your scope.  Play with the tuning until the wave is noise-free.

Now, backing up, you realize that you can't use the encoder/decoder boards
to replace the wire serial connection to the computer?  If you have a way
of controlling the 4 digital input lines on the encoder board from your
computer, and you read the 4 output lines on the decoder with the HB's
digital ports, you could establish control from your PC (or alternatively,
you could put switches on the encoder board and control it directly,
manually). However, I'm pretty certain that the internal protocall of the
encoder/decoders, and the baud rate would prevent it from working as a
download cable replacement.  Let me know it you find this to be wrong, as
the Ming boards are a great low-cost RF item.

best,
Michael