 Robotics / Handy Board / 6691
6690  |  6692
Subject:
COMPLETED ROBOT FOR SALE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:06:48 GMT

COMPLETED ROBOT NEEDS GOOD HOME: $600.00 or best offer.

(Spayed/neutered and has all its shots)

I HAVE PHOTOS AVAILABLE VIA E-MAIL (OFF LIST) IF INTERESTED....

Completed, fully assembled robot for sale that incorporates the following
components:

1 Handy Board and interface board with cables, battery pack and charger,
all unmodified except for the addition (stacking) of two additional
H-bridge ICs
and the routing of alternative power source to same (Patrick Hui and Radio
Shack
for batt and chgr).

1 Expansion Board, unmodified except for the addition of Polaroid sonar
plug/connector (Gleason Research).

2 12-24v gearhead motors modified to provide faster output by removing one
gear in power train (Acroname surplus item). Removed gears will be
included,
the modification is reversible. These motors could be geared down if
desired and
would provide ALOT of torque, albeit at a slow speed. As is, they are a
nice balance
between speed and torque and have power to spare in its current
configuration.

2 Four-inch inflatable tires as purchased from a local R/C aircraft store.
Smooth tread and include an adapter fashioned from a surplus aluminum gear
that mounts directly to gearmotors and is secured with set screws.

2 Hamatsu IR detectors for use as wheel encoders. There are 2 more that
I didn't actually use on the 'bot and will be included.

2 R/C aircraft servos for use in the pan/tilt mechanism for ranging
sensors.

1 Polaroid 6500 sonar ranging module and sender, complete and unmodified
with the exception of the addition of a capacitor on the board as specified
in H-board documentation.

1 Eltech motion sensor purchased from Acroname, uses the cardboard cutout
funnel for the fresnel lens.

1 Sharp IR ranging sensor GP2D02.

1 Lynxmotion IR object detector kit assembled and functional.

2 Photo sensors.

4 National Semiconductor LMD18200 - not used on 'bot but included.

2 12v Radio Shack camcorder batteries for motor power.

Description of robot:

Base constructed out of 1/8" Lynxmotion yellow sheet stock approx the size
of a 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. Rounded corners. Dual motor drive with
trailing caster (R/C aircraft tail wheel 1 1/2" dia.). Sonar and GP2D02
mounted on pan/tilt mechanism on front right ("passenger" side in the U.S.)
with IR object detector mounted on top surface of base centered on the
front
of the 'bot. The motion sensor cone is position a little farther back from
the pan/tilt ranging head and on the left side of the 'bot, not blocked by
the ranging head.

The base was constructed using a CAD drawing overlaid on the sheet stock
and
cut with a band saw. The wheels are recessed within the profile of the 'bot
as you look down from directly above but they do break the outline by about
1/4". The motor mounts are made of the same sheet material as is the
pan/tilt framework and are very sturdy. The servos are mounted side by side
behind the IR object detector with the pan/tilt frame mounted directly on
the right one for the "pan" movement (+90deg  to -90 deg), the left one
operates a flexible pushrod (from hobby store) that allows up and down
movement (-15deg down to about +35deg up). The HBoard battery is mounted
directly on the front underside of the base. One of the camcorder batteries
is mounted between the front wheels and the caster mount with the second
mounted on top of the base directly behind the HBoard and Expansion board.
The "brains" are mounted with standoffs on the centerline of the top
surface
of the base and behind the drive wheels. The sonar module is mounted on the
top of the base and to the right and under the the "brains".

Everything works and operates and it currently has programs loaded that
will
allow it to do simple wall following and photo avoidance or seeking. I do
still have mild difficulty getting consistent readings from sonar sensor,
but
it is functional and gives general distance measurements and someone with
more
electronics/programming experience will be able to get better performance
from it.

The wheel encoders give 64 tic per revolution resolution using a paper
stripe disc mounted directly to the inside of the wheels. All related
software (registered version) is included. The only physical modification
is
to the h-bridge motor drivers and is reversible. I double stacked the
existing chips with two more chips and fed in the two camcorder batteries.
don't remember the part numbers but the existing ones are the kind that
came
with the Patrick Hui board and the ones on top are the higher capacity kind
that come with the Gleason board. I do NOT have problems with
overheating. I think I even have one extra H-bridge IC that would go with
it.

As it is, the robot would be good for someone who just wants to program and
doesn't want to fiddle with building. There is still room to mount
additional sensors and electronics. It could use some bump sensors, for
instance. It was built in a workmanlike manner and looks good without a
bunch
of wires sticking out all over the place. I will be including an unused
sheet
and a partially used sheet (about 50%) of the Lynxmotion yellow sheet stock
(1/8").

I am selling it due to lack of time (I have a new son). I estimate that I
have at least $650.00 in the parts that are either on it or that I will
include with it.

Please contact me if you are interested.

Thank you,

Bob Kelly
(216) 781 4030 ext 2251 (before 5:00 PM EST)
(440) 877 0080 (after 6:00 PM EST)