 Robotics / Handy Board / 6536
Re: submersible, ballast, depth sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 07:14:27 GMT

Hi!

I planned to build a sub myself about
two years ago but couldn't find the time to build it. What I have to
offer are some thoughts.

Fortunately a submersible needs lots of ballast, so you can stuff it
with lots of batteries and gear.
So my plan was to use a $10 air compressor (the sort you can buy at
service stations to fill your tires) to move air from a bouyancy
tank (with a hole at the bottom connected to the water) into a reservoir
to sink and to let it flow back through an
electric valve to rise. This way the only refueling you need is
electricity. So you don't need to refill the canister from time to time
which means maintainance on land.

My favorite methode would be to use an electric piston system to move
water in and
out of a large cylinder (about half a liter). The other side of the cylinder
(the air side) must be connected to the interior of the sub. This way
you would change the pressure inside the sub. Or you could say you
change the overal volume, hence the bouyancy.

I planned also to build some kind of automatic emergency float system.
Nothing else than some ballast to drop when the batteries run too low
OR a preset time has elapsed (the latter could be a mechanical solution
using a modified kitchen alarm clock).

Regarding the depth sensor. Did you consider some sonar device that pings
straight upward to sense the reflection of the surface? It just came to
my mind. I don't know if that works but it seems feasable and should be
of good accuracy (about an inch should be possible). I thought of something
like the polaroid ranging sensor. Oops, speed of sound in water is about
3 times that of what it is in air, so the accuracy would be only a third
and what about the reflectance of the water surface if there are lots of
waves.... Hmmm!