 Robotics / Handy Board / 6439
Re:
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 16:17:04 GMT

     Fernando:

     This is not too much information to go by, but here are some thoughts.

     1. If you use MS Windows 95/98/NT hbdl is your best bet as a
     downloader, since dl or dlm hang up under these OS's, even in a MSDOS
     terminal window. dl and dlm work best in a straight DOS box. Also the
     AMD K6-2 is known to have some incompatibility problems compared to a
     Genuine Intel as some people in the Linux world tell me, allthough AMD
     claims 100% compatibility with Windows. This may not be an issue.

     2. The fact that a program, in this case buffalo monitor, occasionally
     hangs could indicate that your memory is not operating properly. The
     fact that you state that after a power cycle the contents of your
     memeory is lost could indicate that the SRAM chip (62256) has an
     unreliable power supply. There is a dedicated power regulater chip
     connected to the power line of this SRAM chip. I would first check
     this out.

     You should not have to hard reset the 68HC11 by hand to get the board
     restarted. There is a special reason why the board design has a
     DS1233-10 on it. This chip from Dallas Semiconductor makes sure the
     reset line stays low for specific minimum amount of time, the 68HC11
     requires this. A hand reset probably puts a lot of dither on the reset
     line and might not be low long enough and stable enough. You should
     look at the two lower left leds, green and red, the red should come on
     for about 1/3 sec and go off again after a power cycle. The DS1233
     does this and waits for a stable 5V supply before going high again.

     3. Your last paragraph coincides with the symtom in 1 and 2, a
     probably instable or intermittant power supply to the SRAM.

     4. In general check for solder bridges and bad solder joints under a
     microscoop or eye loop if available, your problem is likely related to
     this.

     Hope this helps out, Bart Schrijver
     And success on your shool project.

Author:  Non-HP-hitosan (hitosan@hotmail.com) at HP-PaloAlto,mimegw2
Date:    6/30/99 6:44 AM

We had been building a handyboard(hb) but we have severe problems,

We download the buffalo using  the hbdl windows downloader (dl indicates a
serial timeout, dlm just hangs up).
When Buffalo is succesfully loaded (it sometimes halts with a error in
address 0x0000)and a power cycle is made the memory is lost. If we connect
pin 17 of the HC11 (reset) to GND instead of a power cycle the system resets
and the buffalo prompt is displayed. Buffalo seems to be working as the help
and load commands work properly.I tried making a block fill to the motor
outputs. The command is carried out successfully as the motor leds light up
correctly. Unfortunately, the buffalo prompt is not displayed again
afterwards.

I then tried loading the IC pcode. When I power cycle the noard and run IC
the program indicates a board not present. If I reset the chip without a
power cycle and then run IC, it just hangs up without displaying a message.

If it is of any help, our current computer is an AMD K6-2 at 300Mhz with
48Mb RAM.

Please help! We are supposed to deliver a fully working handyboard by the
end of the week as a school asignment.

Fernando

Thanks, we hope to hear back from you soon!