 Robotics / Handy Board / 6435
RE: Moving Straight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 05:41:02 GMT

Many people use trial and error to come up with a wheel differencial factor that
should always be applied so that even without looking at the encoders the robot
should move pretty straight. If you do the compensation on the fly that is OK
but during turns and such you may be turning too much or not enough without
adding in this factor. This factor would normally be stored in nonvolotile RAM
or eeprom for future use, too.

Mike

Our first challenge was to get our robot to move ahead straight.  There
seemed to be a difference in the motor torques.  We used shaft encoders and

compared the counts every 200 to 500 milliseconds.  Slowing down the motor

that had a higher count, for  50 to 100 milliseconds.  You have to use trial

and error with this approach as there is an optimum time for looking and an

optimum time for slowing the motors.

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Tuttle [SMTP:tuttle@ms.com]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 1999 8:39 PM
To: Sean Verret
Cc: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Moving Straight

I use the 9 gram Piezo gyro in my Hand Launch Glider to keep it moving
level despite strong wind conditions.
Could you use that in your robot as a "Rudder" input? The 9 gram Piezo
gyro
costs about 9,500 yen here in Japan.
That is about $80.00. I think there are even cheaper ones out there, but

they are a touch heavier.

Patrick

Sean Verret wrote:

Is there anyone who has written or seen IC code that will keep a robot

moving straight with 2 DC motors and four side sensors?  2 on each
side.  The main reason I ask is because one of my DC motors seems to put

out more power that the other one and this moves faster  and my robot
like to turn into walls....

I'm using the analog sensor inputs with IR sensors - the values range
from 0-255
255 being can't see anything, and 0 being right against a wall..

I was thinking something like - if back left > 128 speed up left motor

or decrease right motor speed and similar scenarios for the other
sensors....

I'm asking just to save myself some time....  If anyone can help that'd

be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers
Sean Verret
Design Services