 Robotics / Handy Board / 6426
6425  |  6427
Subject:
6500 sonar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:53:17 GMT

A week ago I has using the sonar ranger with the expansion board but
without connecting J12 to digital input 7.  I had the sonar making the
CLICKING sound (which is good) but the numbers that were being displayed
onto the LCD were random (not good).  I found out that J12, which is located
on the expansion board, needed to be connected to digital input 7 located on
the handyboard.  Digital input 7 is the farthest digital input to the right
amongst the digital inputs.  My numbers were now all positive and it
appeared as if I might had finally made some progress.
The next day I came in and tested the sonar to find that it is now silent
(no clicking) and is also displaying random numbers that are both positive
and negative.  I tested the init pin, located on the TL851 digital chip,
using an oscilloscope and it seems to be giving a square pulse like it
should.  I then checked the echo and couldn't find a signal. I also noticed
that while I was gone my lab partner (it's always your lab partner, right?)
connected one of the servo motors to the expansion board with the ground and
signal pins reversed (this is easy to do...so be careful).  Did this cause
my sonar to become a mute.  It doesn't click anymore!!  In other word, one
step forward and two steps back.
I don't think it is the sonar ranging module circuit board because I
switched it out with a replacement and the replacement is mute as well.
This leads me to beleive that my problem is somewhere on the handyboard.
Does any body have anything to say.
Thanx in advance.
Ethan