 Robotics / Handy Board / 6388
Re: Handyboard Assembly Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:12:56 GMT

     Umar:

     This may sound trivial to others, but here is what I think you should
     do.

     When a new handyboard is switched on without any software loaded that
     drives the LCD display, you should see the first line fully dark and
     the second line light. So what you see is normal.

     When you bring the HB in download mode, the situation stays the same.
     Then when you download software like IC, after the download process
     completes the LCD remains in that condition.

     You have to switch your board on and off to reboot and start the
     loaded program, this is when the LCD will show: Interactive C
     version 2.8.1    plus a heart beat if IC is loaded. Since the HB is
     used in Special test mode, the reset vector is at $BFFE, $BFFF and
     should point to $C5000 where IC starts.

     When you have done all of this or already did this and the situations
     remains the same, you could try to use dlm downloader in DOS, which
     checks every byte that downloads and sees if it arrives with the
     correct value. This checks out access to your SRAM chip and all the
     driver logic to it. It might be that one of the 74HC chips is busted
     and that you miss one or more of the data or address lines which
     prevents any program from running. The above check with dlm should
     reveal this though.

     Hope this helps, Bart Schrijver.