 Robotics / Handy Board / 628
Re: Polaroid Sonar, etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 02:43:54 GMT

Hi Jeff,

I've ordered the Polaroid OEM kit which should hopefully be in tommarow, and
was wondering where i could find schematics for making it talk with the
handy-board. I looked in the cherupahka/...../kent, which has some code, but
no schems. am i just missing them?

There are no schematics, per se, but there are directions in the
cher/.../kent directory.  The following excerpt is from the readme file
there.  It contains the information you need to attach the ranging module
to the Handy Board.  Hope that helps!

--- from ftp://cherupakha.media.mit.edu/pub/contrib/ic_contrib/kent/readme ---

hbsonar:
This directory contains drivers and sample code for using the Poloroid
6500 ranging modules with the Handy Board. The ECHO signal uses TIC3
(port A, bit 0), which is the rightmost header on the digital inputs.
The INIT signal plugs into pin 9 of the second motor driver chip socket.
The BINH signal plugs into pin 1 of the second motor driver chip socket.
These drivers are based on drivers for the 6.270.

For robust operation, solder a 0.1uf cap into C7 of the ranging board.
Install a 330 to 1K series resistor in the BINH signal. These modifications
allow in reliable operation down to 8 inches. There is no need for a cap
across the sonar power pins, as the Handy Board has plenty of surge current
capacity.

I also want to mount the sensor on my Cat D10-N tractor-robot and put a
servo on it so it'll twirl. has anyone else done this and how did you do it.

I presume you mean how to modify the servo so it'll twirl?  It's hard
to describe in an e-mail but essentially you need to remove the molded plastic
stub on the drive shaft of the servo to get it to rotate freely.  If you have
access to _Mobile_Robots_From_Inspriration_to_Implementation_, there is an
excellent description (with drawings) on how to do this.  Perhaps someone
else can articulate better on how to do this...

I was also wondering if anyone has played with the Hammatsu IR modulator IC,
which was recommended to me by Digital Micro Systems (great tech support!!).

Thanks for the feedback!

- Prabal