 Robotics / Handy Board / 6270
Re: Handyboard/Miniboard Replacement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 17:55:38 GMT

Jimleorich@aol.com wrote:

I would like to replace this controller if possible, but I am uncertain
of the reliability of current microcontrollers in an outdoor condensing
environment.  The original board was encased within epoxy and is
unidentifiable as a result.  Heat damage is also visible on the epoxy.

Any suggestions?  Anything would be appreciated at this point.

I'll get flamed for this, but I once dipped a board for an underwater
robot in that liquid plastic stuff. It's at hardware stores, used for
dipping wrench handles and stuff to make them more comfortable and
electrically insulated. I held the board by the powerwires and the
motor/sensor wires in each hand and dipped the whole lot, then pulled it
back out. I'll tell you one thing, it was sealed *well!*

Unfortunately, if you have to change anything your screwed, and you'd
better make sure that the power is always connected to ground, cause you
can get some wierd ESD problems.

Jonathan Pennington
-Anthropologist/Geologist
-Linux User and Advocate
-Bug Eater on an '83 V45 Magna "Dark Side"
    and a '71 Triumph Bonnie "Pieces"
Email at jwp(at)awod.com ( root@localhost )

"Where are we going?
And why are we in this handbasket?