 Robotics / Handy Board / 6206
Re: transmitting via airwaves
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 20:16:48 GMT

[shsc9801@condor.stcloudstate.edu] spake unto the ether:

Has anyone tried transmitting such things as a camera (like they have in
Jameco) from the handyboard to a computer or tv?  The only problem I forsee
is powering the transmitter.  Anybody have any ideas?

We have done this the last 2 semesters with our Autonomous Robotics
course here at CWRU (http://eecs.cwru.edu/courses/lego375/).  I bought a
$125 color CCD camera from DigiKey and a $23 VHF transmitter kit from JDR
Microdevices.  We're still using 6.270 boards here, a 6V system, so for
our Cambot, I just added 3 more cells to get 12V and built a special wiring
harness with a tap at 6V.  This is heavy...so I'm considering a DC-DC
converter.  The transmitter board draws 125 mA, the camera 100 mA.  My
antenna has some funky aluminum foil shielding to get rid of noise from
the servo motor which is panning the camera, but otherwise the picture
is great.  We taped the broadcast; I should make some QT movies.

*Rich*
--
Richard F. Drushel, Ph.D.            | "Aplysia californica" is your taxonomic
Department of Biology, Slug Division | nomenclature.  /  A slug, by any other