 Robotics / Handy Board / 6201
6200  |  6202
Subject:
Battery question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 16:22:14 GMT

Hello all,

I currently have a 12v 2amp camcorder gel-cell as a motor power source for
some 12-24v gearhead motors purchased from Acroname. I am using stacked
L239's and TI motor driver chips to interface. All is working, except that
the motors only seem to provide useful power when motor(x,100). The motors
run when set to a lower power setting, but don't pull the weight of the
'bot well at all. At full power, the 'bot is fine and can run up inclines
with no problem.

I want to add another battery to the existing gel-cell in order to increase
the voltage to, say 19.2v. I have a spare radio control 7.2v battery pack
handy. Of course, it is of the Ni-cad variety. Do I need to connect the
batteries lines +  to + (parallel) or + to - (series)? Will the two
different batteries co-exist well or will this create problems? Will one
battery drain into the other? Will one battery's capacity be drained first
(due to the battery mis-match, not their rated capacity)? I realize I may
have to modify the motor driver circuitry somewhat (I just got a couple of
LMD18200's for this purpose).

Thank you all,

Bob Kelly