 Robotics / Handy Board / 62
Re: Adding a brain to the handy board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 04:09:59 GMT

Nathan Parker suggested:

If you want to do image processing / pattern matching you'll need
some horsepower.

Not necessarily.  The mini-robots project at the University of Minnesota,
Minneapolis, has used a 68HC11-based board for vision processing.  The
boards were designed and built by an undergraduate working for the
Artificial Intelligence laboratory.  While not being as powerful as the
Handy-Boards, they're roughly equivalent to the Miniboard (without
motor-driver chips) and have 16 or 32K of RAM on board.  John Fischer (the
undergraduate in question) has built a frame-grabber board which interfaces
to a camera board on which a little black & white CCD camera is mounted.
Ever since I started graduate school at UMN, I've introduced the lab to the
wonders of Fred Martins creations and have even gotten a Masters student
building a Handy Board and planning to build LEGO robots for his Master's
theses.  :)  Anyway, John has been toying around with the idea of
interfacing his frame-grabber board with the Handy-Board.  Essentially, all
that needs to be done is to build a break-out cable which lets the
frame-grabber board and the Handyboard share the memory chip.  This and the
frame-grabber needs to communicate to the Handy-Board via three pins (don't
ask me what they are, I don't know off the top of my head.)  Once that's
done, the framegrabber could quite happily take a digital snapshot and
download it into the Handyboard's memory for processing.

A mini-robot named Walleye was built with this camera on board.  Check out
http://www.cs.umn.edu/Research/airvl/Walleye/

Oh by the way, hi.  My name is Paul Rybski.  I'm new to this list as I just
built my first handy-board last weekend and wanted to be able to talk to
folks about it.  I've ordered one of the extension board interfaces (beta)
from Gleason and want to use the handy-dandy polaroid sonar interface with
my sonars.  So far, I've just used the sonars with Miniboards (thanks to
code written by my friend and partner from last year Brian Schmalz at
Lawrence University).

Anyhoo, enjoy!  The URL also has links to other 68HC11-based robotics
projects done at the U-of-M, including using a Kohonen associative neural
network to balance a pole and to back up a trailer.

-Paul

=== Paul E. Rybski ## 1st Yr. Csci Grad Student, Univ of MN, AI & Robotics ===
=== B.A. in Math/Computer Sci, Magna Cum Laude for Project, Lawrence Univ. ===
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~rybski/home.html //\\ "One-trillionth of a surprise = 1
PGP:Finger rybski@cs.umn.edu ======================== picaboo(and a kiloboo is
Email:rybski@cs.umn.edu    //2015 Central Ave NE #336\\ enough to scare you to
Phone:(612)-788-4880      //   Minneapolis,MN 55418   \\ death.)" - Anonymous