 Robotics / Handy Board / 616
RE: Bot vision
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 01:38:06 GMT

The limits on available user ram will make this difficult at best. If you can assume a 4K
byte buffer for your image, that is only 64 pixels on a side, not much to work with.

There are a couple of possible solutions however. One is the "ImageWise" camera that
Steve Ciarcia designed a long time ago, this captures to a dedicated micro that connects
to the host via a serial port. In this configuration the Handyboard would communicate with
the camera board via a serial interface, leaving the image data on the dedicated micro and
only manipulating the pixels as it needed. Of course the design of the dedicated micro is
such that as long as you are going to do that, might as well make it a full fledged machine.
Note that some versions of the Connectix "eyeball" camera are also serial based. They
may be the modern equivalent of Steve's system.

Using a camera with the HB will require some extremely creative thinking as the computing
horsepower of the 6811 is generally not considered up to the task. There have been things
like the BugEyes project (bsmall@sfrsa.com) that was trying to mimic insect eyes, and
of course the RAM chip
based things. I personally think a more subsumption approach might be feasible, using a
stereo camera system and something like a dedicated ARM system to compute spatial
coordinates in three space. The interface to the HB would then be in the form of a vector
space representing edges in the environment surrounding the robot. This is a little bit like
what Shakey did at SRI and that robot used the spatial information to compute navigation
vectors through the environment.

All in all it might be more practical to come up with a phased array sonar to explore the
environment.

There is however one really neat application of cameras with HBs (but you don't need to
interface to the HB) which is to attach a camera and a video transmitter to your robot
and then pilot it from your computer while watching a monitor. This can be quite fun.
I've found that for "near" experiences, using the Rabbit TV Transmitter works great for
this (substitute two 9v batteries in series for the wall-wart supply).

--Chuck