 Robotics / Handy Board / 6107
6106  |  6108
Subject:
Electrolytic Capacitor Ratings [was Re: Choosing Parts?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 12:52:04 GMT

In a message dated 4/21/99 8:18:41 AM Central Daylight Time,
tgb@cozy.core.wamnet.com writes:

For electrolytic capacitors, you want the printed voltage to be the
closest voltage above the voltage you are operating at.  The voltage • listed

on the can is the one it works best at.

I don't mean to be harsh, but this isn't exactly correct.  The voltage
is the highest the capacitor is rated for. if you have a 12 V circuit

Your comments aren't taken as being harsh, but I'm still not sure I
agree.  Now I must say that my comments are based on something I heard in the
rummer mill, but it still sounds plausible.  What I heard goes like this.
Electrolytic capacitors are formed by metal plates placed in a
conductive solution.  A thin dielectric coating formed on one of the plates.
The rummer states that the thickness of this dielectric coating varies
slightly with applied voltage.  So (according to the rumor), if you want the
capacitor to operate at its rated capacitance, you must operated it at its
rated voltage.
That is the rumor as I've heard it.  I have not really heard anyone
speak against it other than to say that it is common practice to use
capacitors larger than is needed.  In most power supply applications such
attention to detail is usually not called for.  And if your using capacitors
in tuning applications, you probably aren't using electrolytics.
Is there anyone on the list that is involved in the manufacture of
electrolytics that can speak about the truth of this rumor?

Pherd