 Robotics / Handy Board / 6074
Re: design alternatives: servo control and power source
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:56:54 GMT

Hi Doug:

    I built a 12-servomotor walking robot using two SSCs - their interface
with the HandyBoard is well documented, and ICB drivers are available on the
webpage.  I communicate with two SSCs (www.seetron.com) via one serial line
connected to PA7 - a digital input port - as documented.

The SSCs require a 9-volt supply, so I share the HandyBoard battery.  I use
a rechargable NiCd battery, and to this point it hasn't required intentional
recharging.  The SSCs also take in a 4.8-volt to 6-volt supply that is
pulse-width-modulated to drive the servomotors.  In my experience, the
twelve standard motors (50oz-in) can draw 3A at 5V at stall - which is a
large amount of current.

If you have a large 9-volt supply to power the boards and the motors, the
servomotor current draw will spike and probably reset your control boards.
You could try to isolate the supply leading to your boards, but that would
be complicated and not completely effective.  You'd also have to voltage
divide the large 9-volt supply, and this gets tricky - you'd have a
considerable loss over the voltage divider that would make this
unattractive.  The number 15% comes to mind, but I can't back that up.

I used the one 9-volt NiCd for the HandyBoard and the SSCs, and a 4x1.2-volt
NiCd battery pack for the servomotors.  As I mentioned, the motors peaked at
3A of current draw.  In retrospect, I would have designed for double the
weight in batteries, and put four more NiCds in parallel for extended
operating life.

I hope that helps!

--
William Sitch, http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~wsitch
4th Year Electrical Engineering at Carleton University