 Robotics / Handy Board / 6041
Re: Servo DEinitialization.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 02:12:25 GMT

I'd go for the Coke can idea.  Sounds like a surer shot.

I thought init_expbd_servos(x), where x = integer from 0 to 5, was used
to initialize the servos individually.  Stupid me.  I've been using
init_expbd_servos(5), and, since I only had #5 hooked up, and it
centered, I propagated my own misconception.  So you are saying that only
0 and 1 are valid arguments for the init_expbd_servos() funcion?

Ross Tonkens

Gary Livick

Hi Doc,

The function call "init_expbd_servos(0);" turns them off,
"init_expbd_servos(1);"
turns them on.  Something like "servo5=2300;" commands a servo to a
position, but
only if the servos are initialized as per above.  Maybe I used a confusing
term
when I said de-initialize.

Now, let me get this straight....  Medical Director?  Maybe I can work
with you
on a robot that will remove any undifferentiated glial cells from in vitro
cultures once we figure out how to get pluripotent stem cells to
differentiate in
this way.  The pluripotent cells are tumorgenic, as you know, so we have
to be
careful to get 'em all differentiated, or get them out of the culture before
inplant into the substantia nigra.  What do you think?

Or, maybe I just stick with picking up Coke cans :-)

Best regards,

Gary Livick

rmtmd wrote:

How do you "de-initialize" a sevo?  I am only familiar with the
init_expbd_servos(x) command and with reassigning the servo(x) global
variable to effect servo repositioning.

Ross M. Tonkens, M.D.
Medical Director
Primary Care of Nevada
100 North Green Valley Parkway
Suite 240
Henderson, NV 89014

702 914-7120  VOICE
702 914-7129  FAX

Gary Livick

Drew-

I have a Handy Board on a robot that runs three servos and the GP2D02 • sensor,
and I have the same nervous jitters problem.  However, I do not run any
processes on this application.  I am using IC under v 3.2 of the software, • so
I could use processes but didn't.  Look around on the site at
http://www.acroname.com and find "Scooter Dude" in the gallery if you want • to
see what the application is

I also have a Rug Warrior board powering a different robot, and it uses a
servo to aim a sonar mast.  I do see the effects of running processes on • that
in that the servo jumps from place to place, whereas when running the servo
absent any other processes it runs smoothly.  BUT it does not "jitter" like
the Handy Board servos.

I haven't dug into it yet, but there is obviously something fundamentally
different about the way the Handy Board drives servos compared to the way • the
Rug Warrior does it.  Because this is the case, I am not sure that • allocating
more run time for the servo process is going to fix it, but it is easy • enough
to try.  After that, an intense study of the implementation technique on • the
Handy Board is in order.  Let me know if you get time to look into that, • and
I'm sure others will be interested as well.  One possible band-aide would • be
to de-initialize the servos between each finite change in their command
state.  That stops them from jittering because they are powered down.

Gary Livick
http://www.lightwaverobotics.com

wengd@optionshealthcare.com wrote:

How sensitive are the exp bd servo routines to many processes running
concurrently.  My servo works fine in a stand alone test file but when I
include it in my main code it gets the "nervous shakes", as if the timing
pulse is fluctuating ( I don't have a scope to verify this).  The main • code
starts separate processes for Sharp GP2D02, Photo, Bump, Pyro, User
(scans start button) and a Sonar which I disabled.  Some of these
sensors are located on a servo controlled head.  What's up?? Am I just
trying to do too much? Can the processes be assigned more or less
"ticks" to resolve this?  Thanks for any suggestions.....
-Drew

RMT