 Robotics / Handy Board / 6019
Re: multitasking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 11:51:42 GMT

Javaid Iqbal wrote:

I have a simple question regarding multitasking.
I am using two subroutine in a multitasking.

start_process(ir());
start_process(detect());

Both subroutine should run for 5 ms(default). Consider an example that the
subroutine detect() require more than 5 ms for complete execution. When the
main program runs ir() will be executed for  first 5 ms then detect() will
be executed for next 5ms. At the end of first 10 ms ir() will be executed
again for 5ms. Now after 15ms when detect() will be executed, will it be
executed from where it was left or execution will start from the  start of
subroutine?.
If it start the execution of subroutine from start every time, do I have to
increase the execution time of multitasking ( start_process(detect(),100);.
In this case how can I find the exact execution time of each subroutine?.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely
Javaid Iqbal

The subroutines continue execution exactly where they left off, making the
multitasking transparent to you.  You normally shouldn't have to give any
thought to how many ms each one gets.  If timing is important to you for some
reason and the time commands aren't sufficient then it's time to learn
assembler.