 Robotics / Handy Board / 5979
5978  |  5980
Subject:
Hack for gearmotors sold by Acroname
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 22:23:40 GMT

Hi,

The SOHO gear motors sold by Acroname have a high gear ratio and are too
slow for what I needed (189:1 or something). The front gear cover is
removable with two screws and one on the gears (there are 4 metal gears in
addition to the small plastic motor gears) can be removed, therby lowering
the gear ratio. I havent counted teeth so I dont know how much exactly, but
the speed is far more useful now for a direct connect to wheels.

The gear on the main shaft is a press fit and the gear must be moved down
the shaft towards the motor to contact the last gear left in place. I used
wood to contact the shaft and gear surfaces while carefully tapping with a
small hammer. A small spacer must be fashioned to reduce sideplay. I used
plastic square stock that fit nicely over the main shaft.

Though I am not going into alot of detail here, if you have one of these and
open it up, you'll see what I mean. A little trial and error assembly and
reassembly will make up for lack of a machine shop and precision tools.
Don't throw away any leftover parts (1 gear and 1 locking pin) and if you
need to, you can return it back to original configuration.

I went to a surplus electronics store and found large (3") lightweight and
drillable aluminum gears that I can attach the wheels of my choice too. This
motor has a 3/16" output shaft.

Hope this helps somebody out there.