 Robotics / Handy Board / 5945
Re: PC vs Unix
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:44:06 GMT

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, ethan getz wrote:

We ordered a HB the other day but were not sure if we could use unix to
operate it as opposed to a PC.  My question is: do you have to have PC to
operate a HB or can you use unix.

I use a PC running Unix (ok, a Unix-variant).  PC and Unix are NOT
mutually exclusive. :-)

I agree with the other response:  Unix works well.  The easiest to learn
setup is probably Interactive C on a PC or a Mac.  Once you're comfortable
with it you might want to try Interactive C on Unix.  Note that there are
freeware versions of Interactive C out there, but I understand they're not
as nice as the commercial version.

If you need more power/speed, then you can switch to Dunfield, ICC, or GCC
C-compilers, Assembly code, or a mixture of C and Assembly.  I think most
people who are into robotics are quite happy with Interactive C, so you
may never need to switch.  There are also Sbasic and TinyForth for the
HC11, both of which compile down to HC11 Assembly code I think.

Libraries:
----------
ICC has Handyboard and Miniboard libraries
GCC has Miniboard libraries
Interactive C has Handyboard libs (others?)

For anything else you'll need to know the hardware and memory map quite
well to get started writing code.  The libraries hide a lot of the
intricacies from you, which is nice when you first get started.

If you're already comfortable with Unix, start with Interactive C or GCC
on that platform.  I just got gcc-2.8.1 working with the HC11 this week.

I ran out of processing power with Interactive C and so am switching to
GCC.  I'm not doing robots though (yet), but lots of serial and string
processing.  GCC on Solaris and Linux are compiling nicely for the HC11
and I'll be starting on GCC Handyboard libs next, thanks to the generosity
of the authors who came before who are letting me base it off their code.
There's a DOS GCC-2.8.1 compiler for the HC11 also.

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker.NO_*SPAM@tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin
"Lotto:   A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown