 Robotics / Handy Board / 5923
5922  |  5924
Subject:
H-board/Expansion board seperate battery question.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:55:31 GMT

Hello everyone...

I have an expansion board attached and working just fine on my Handy board
and wish to accomplish the following...

Create a separate power source of 12v, using a small 2-4 amp hour
rechargeable battery from radio shack, to the existing H-bridge motor
controllers so that I can run 12-24v gearmotors (32mA no-load current at
12v) purchased from Acroname. Also purchased from Acroname are some h-bridge
ICs (Texas Instruments SN754410NE).

My questions are...

1). If I sever the power trace to the h-bridges as outlined on the h-board
site, it appears that I will also cut the power to the expansion brd.
servos. Can I simply sever the trace on the h-board, hook up my motor
battery and wire a separate power connection from the original 9.6v hboard
battery to the servo power connectors on the exp. brd? Is it ok to wire
servo power from the 12v source, or will this be too much for the servos and
related circuits? Would I have to regulate the current to the servos with
the 12v supply and is it a simple circuit (I am no electronics master)?

2). Can I plop down my new h-bridge ICs on top (in parallel) of the existing
h-bridge ICs as detailed in the hboard FAQ even though they are not the same
manufacturer (I got my h-board from Pat Hui and I believe they use the
"inferior" L239 chip or whatever part number it is)? Do I even need to run
the new chips in parallel at all, meaning can the existing ICs handle the
new motors by themselves? Should I just go ahead and piggy-back them
anyways, even if I don't hook up a different battery motor combo if I have
the ICs handy or does this create some adverse effects?

3). How difficult would it be to build a new, higher capacity motor driver
(from a kit, again I am no electron guru) and use it to bypass the existing
motor circuit on the board? What I mean is, how can I bypass the existing
motor controllers without making permanent changes to the board (i.e.:
de-soldering the L239s and hooking up my new, heat sinked motor controller
to the outputs)?

4). On a somewhat unrelated subject, is there a simple way to monitor the
battery charge level on the h-board? If not, what is necessary to do this
and hopefully supply an input to the h-board that I can include in my code?

Sorry about all the questions, but this is just such a great resource and
you folks are always so helpful, I just have to take advantage of you
all!!!! Thanks for the help!

Bob Kelly