 Robotics / Handy Board / 5888
5887  |  5889
Subject:
Little more info on the Simtek mem chips
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 12:16:25 GMT

I did a little more playin last nite with the Simtek mem chips.

Whether or not the Mem chips will save memory depends on a few things.  If
I am powering the HB with the serial/charger line and unplug it, the Simtek
chips will hold their memory.  If I am powering the board directly from the
power plug on the HB without the serial/charger line pluged in and unplug
the power they will not.  I guess it has to do with how fast the power
drops.  (by the way, there is no battery attached during all this playin)

Even with the cap across the battery power ports, the Simtek mem chips
didn't save properly a few times.

So.....  probably this all means that to be REALLY safe, follow the
suggestions on the Simtek data sheet (from their website) by putting a low
voltage drop diode and cap across the power leads of the mem chip.  It just
slows down the power drop where is needed the most.