 Robotics / Handy Board / 5885
Re: Simtek memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:58:37 GMT

At 12:02 PM 3/23/99 -0500, Bruce Moore wrote:

A few weeks ago Duncan Orthner mentioned the Simtek memory chips on the HB
newsgroup.  They sounded like a good idea so i tried them.  They work very
well.

[short snip]

Problem is the Simtek chip needs a few
milliseconds between the time the voltage is low enough to cause a mem dump
to EEPROM and the time it looses power comletely.  I just put a 10 mF
capacitor accross the plus and minus points that the battery wires connect
to.  That seemed to make it happy.

   Bruce, they *do* work well. I haven't had to add any caps. I just
plugged it in and it worked 8^]. And they don't collide with the LCD or
exp. board like the Dallas battery backed chips. Really the best of all
possible worlds...

Regards, Duncan