 Robotics / Handy Board / 5879
RE: Sonar Recentering Question
Newsgroups:
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 01:35:04 GMT

Hope these ideas help.

Ted Mylenbusch
amylen@worldnet.att.net

-----Original Message-----
From: rmtmd [mailto:rmtmd@concentric.net]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 1999 1:25 PM
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: Sonar Recentering Question

I've rigged up a rotating cage holding the Polaroid 6500 transducer at
the front of one of my bots.  Every time I turn on the handy board, I'd
like the software to begin by centering the transducer facing forward.

I've rigged a micro motor to a bevel gear to drive the rotating sonar.
The motor's axle passes through the Lego angle sensor.  The problem is
that whenever the handy board is switched off, lego3_counts is reset to
0, even if the sonar transducer is not facing directly forward.
Persistent globals won't help, since they, too, are reinitialized when
the handy board is switched on or the code is reloaded.

My bot is heavy enough already.  I'm loathe to add mechanical limit
sensors to what is already a kludgy first attempt to get the whole thing
working.

Any thoughts?

Ross M. Tonkens, M.D.
Medical Director