 Robotics / Handy Board / 5872
Re: Battery Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 23:06:48 GMT

At 04:38 AM 3/21/99 +0800, you wrote:

They also fit exactly
into the HB battery case. I was wondering if it would be alright if I
replaced the NiCads with the NiMH batteries.

  I use NiMh batteries with my HB. Works fine, but I would be careful
charging them. Supposedly these batteries require special charge circuits,
but I've always found a slight (<150mA) trickle charge to work fine. Maxim
(and others) make IC's for building special charging circuits but when I
switched my cell phone to NiMh I didn't buy a new charger! I wouldn't try
to quick charge (>500mA) them... Also, if you're running high current
motors off of the same battery pack be aware that they *cannot* supply the
current of an equivalent nicad pack.

Hope this helps, Duncan