 Robotics / Handy Board / 5759
Re: Sharp GP2D02 code available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 01:28:20 GMT

I  just finished sending a question to the mail list but  may have my
problem fixed? Just from blind luck.
I have digital out #7no the expansion board and digital in#15  on the main
board and the first of  the zeros on  on the LCD changes to a one at about
a 10 inch range. Whoopee, what's the other zero for? Have I got it right?
Ha, "Even a blind squirrel finda a acorn enery now and then"

----------
From: Barry Brouillette <barry@SGI.com>
To: 'handyboard@media.mit.edu'
Subject: Sharp GP2D02 code available
Date: Wednesday, March 03, 1999 12:46 PM

Hi,
I just posted a short tutorial and software to use the Sharp GP2D02 • infrared
ranging sensor with the Handy Board.  This sensor is very small, • relatively
cheap (about $21) and gives an accurate distance reading for objects that
are between 10cm and 80cm from the sensor.  It sends a very narrow beam • out
and then triangulates the distance using an array of sensors behind a • second
lens.  The 8 bit digital distance value is then clocked into a single
digital input on the Handy Board.  The software, as written, requires the
digital outs from the Expansion Board but it could be easily modified to • use
the single digital out available on the standard Handy Board.

The program is set up to read two GP2D02's simultaneously and store their
values into two global variables which are accessible from IC.  These • global
variables are updated every 73 milliseconds with two new distance values. • It
could easily be extended to talk to more.  There is a pointer to the code
off of the main Handy Board home page or you can go directly to it at:

http://reality.sgi.com/employees/barry_detroit/GP2D02_1.html

I hope it is of use to lots of  you.

Barry Brouillette