 Robotics / Handy Board / 575
Re: Newbie Questions (Sensors)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 00:00:19 GMT

I ordered from LEGO, their "sensor suite". I managed to wire and
use the touch sensor. But I am puzzled about the use and wiring
of their Light Sensor (9890) and their angle sensor (9891). Can someone
provide me with a short synopsis? Thanks.

I did wire the male header pins onto both, plugged them in the input
ports to see what I was getting. The range of values coming from the
light sensor are 83 (in light pointed directly at it) to 94 (ambient
as well as a finger placed on it). The angle sensor just gave a closed
switch reading (value 1).

using the LEGO light and angle sensor is non-trival; custom HW and SW
drivers are required.  See

  ftp://cher.media.mit.edu/pub/projects/miniboard/hobbytip/legosens.txt

for details.

While I am at it, what is a convenient (something that involves getting
a part(s) and simple wiring) way to do near range (0-12 inches) distance
sensing off of the handy board?

0-12 inches is hard, but 0-1 or 2 inches can be done with a simple IR
reflectance sensor.  See the sensors&motors page for wiring diagram.
It's a somewhat imprecise technique, affected by ambient lighting and
the reflectivity of the object in the field of view.

OK, two more questions:

Can I run the board in tethered mode (so the control program is running
on the MAC)?

The above question is really to also find out if there is a way to control
the board through MAC Common Lisp.

You could write your own IC program that accepted a serial protocol of
your own making to control motors and report sensor values.  See the
FAQ for info on taking over the serial port.

And, finally (!) is there a way to get data back from the board (like large
amounts of numbers) after a run?

See above.

-Fred