 Robotics / Handy Board / 5731
Re: Skiff board?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 17:34:45 GMT

I think it's going to be a Compaq product, actually.

It definitely won't be released with the free licensing policy of the
Handy Board.  It was developed by Compaq and with the support of an
MIT student who works for them.  From what I know, the main "Skiff"
CPU board is seen as a sort of "eval board" to encourage new designs
using the StrongARM chip.  I *think* Compaq's plan is to just sell
this, as a way to encourage developers to design with the StrongARM.

The Skiff board itself has no robot I/O.  There's a daughtercard (with
an 8051 running its show) for the Skiff that was developed
specifically for the just-completed January 1999 MIT Robot Design
course.  This has the motor drivers, sensor inputs, LCD screen, etc.
I don't know what the plans are for this board.

Fred