 Robotics / Handy Board / 5541
Re: Sonar and RF Modem questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:40:07 GMT

I just took a look at the Linx site, and while perusing the fine print
at the end of the price list came across this:

"Linx requires the purchase of an evaluation kit prior to the sale of
individual modules to any customer. This policy insures that each
customer has the tools necessary to fairly evaluate our products and
legally apply them. In addition, a benchmark platform amoung all our
customers allows our engineers the best chance to assist should
application difficulties occur."

The cheapest evaluation kit is $139 and is only available for the LC
series. The Master kit is $199 for the LC series, $249 for the RM
series, and $299 for the HP series. All the evaluation kits come
with 2 TX, 2 RX, 2 antennas, plus manuals, evaluation boards, free
technical support, and some extras in the master kits.

So even though the LC only costs $5.60 for the TX and $11.80 for the
RX, you have to spend $139 to get your first 2 pair. The RM series
is $16.20 for the TX and $28.30 for the RX, but you have to pay $249
to get your first two pair. The HP runs $23.80 and $34.88, but you
pay $299 for the first two pair.

This makes them a bit less attractive to a hobbyist like myself.
A shame, since they look useful and pretty reasonably priced, except
for the evaluation kit requirement.

Maybe a vender could get an eval kit, work through the interfacing issues and
kit it for us to buy! That would probably stay within Lynx' licensing agreement
and still provide a cost effective solution.

Mike