 Robotics / Handy Board / 5511
Re: shaft encoders for a track drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 01:56:01 GMT

Has anybody out there constructed shaft encoders for a track driven
MOBOT. If any body has I would appreciate any help you could give me.
I wasn't going to use shaft encoders but I guess they are needed
for many things correct? Is there anyway to build encoders without
using the led's and the colored disks? or is that the easiest way?

Depending on how your tracks are constructed, if they have holes or slots that
light can pass through you can use the tread directly in place of the encoder
wheels. Get some detailed information on how optical encoders work, understand
it and it will be trivial to construct them using the tracks.

Mike