 Robotics / Handy Board / 5506
re: stepper motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:31:12 GMT

I have worked with two kinds of stepper motors with the handy board.
One pair was purchased from LMDC.  These are Astrosyn miniangles stepper
motors. These were big heavy duty stepper motors.
The other pair was from old 5 1/4 inch floppy drives from the arm
positioning motor.
I connected them to the HB through a pair of UCN5804B stepper motor
translator/driver chips.
For the two motors I needed four lines to the handy board.  Dir 1, Dir 2,
Step, Disable.
The floppy motors worked very nicely up to a step time of 1 ms.  I couldn't
get the Astrosyns to work as smoothly or as fast.
I also had trouble replacing the spindle on the floppys with something that
will drive a wheel.  Other than that, the electronics worked fine.

            Regards,
                    Ameen Suleman