 Robotics / Handy Board / 5502
Re: shaft encoders for a track drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:09:28 GMT

Hi.  We built encoders for a skid steered wheeled robot.  There is a picture
of it at:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/mr4/minesweeper.html

We used an IR Led and reciever pair, and a white disk with 24 radial black
lines, and had pretty good luck with the encoder, but bad luck with the info
gathered.  The encoder counted alright (after we built a comparitor circuit
to convert the analog sensor signal to digital), however, skid steering is
very hard to model, making the odometry info obtained not very useful for
accurate turning.  In otherwords, a tracked (or wheeled) skid steering
vehicle, by its nature, slips when it turns.  Because of this, it is hard to
correlate wheel rotations to degrees turned.  Even if you can make a
determine a correlation through experimentation, this relationship will not
be consistant for different surfaces.

Encoders are not useless though, as they will still give a good "ballpark
figure" on distances traveled going straight.

Anyway, a quick easy way to build one without using optics or worrying about
A/D conversion is to get a magnetic switch (like on a bicycle speedometer),
and mount little magnets on a fixture that turns with the tracks / wheels.
You will never get as good resolution as with optics, because there is a
limit to how close together the magnets can be, but for a tracked vehicle on
rough terrain, we have found that the error accumulated from slippage
prevents obtaining very accurate info anyway.

A really good resource for this stuff is the book:

Navigating Mobile Robots : Systems and Techniques
by J. Borenstein, H. R. Everett, Liqiang Feng

good luck, if I can help further, let me know,

--Michael

/*
Michael N. Rosenblatt, sophomore
Carnegie Mellon University