 Robotics / Handy Board / 5460
re: RE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:52:29 GMT

hi all,

my take on the email format issue is that nearly everything should be
handled on the client side.  in other words, write your filters to deal
with the "re's"; figure out that mail is from the handy board list by
searching for "handyboard@media.mit.edu" in the To: or cc: fields, etc.

the one thing i will insist on is that people turn off HTML formatting
when they post a message to the list.  this is for two reasons:

1.  if you don't have an HTML capable email client -- and a lot of us
do not -- it's REALLY annoying to scroll through tons of garbage to
get to the content.

2.  the archive format of the list isn't HTML friendly.

in my list guidelines, i do mention the HTML issue, and i
occasionally remind people privately when they post an HTML message.

(i admit, the HTML thing is a pet peeve of mine -- i like my email the
old fashioned way, with monospaced formatting, *asterisks* for
emphasis, and UPPER CASE if you are really annoyed.  but as list mom i
get to have a few idosyncracies.)

thanks,
fred