 Robotics / Handy Board / 5436
RE:Handyboard project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:06:45 GMT

Hi James,

I purchased an assembled and tested  H Board from Patrick Hui for about
$200, as well as the registered version of IC. Also got his sensor kit
($15).

Expansion Board was purchased from Gleason for $59. Also bought the
sensor/motor kit from them ($35). I got the expansion board because I have a
few servo motors lying around from some R/C aircraft projects I've built and
didn't think the straight H Board with two max servo outputs would be
enough.

Had to buy batteries and charger, didnt have the right charger laying about
and my duracels that I scavenged from around the house didnt last long.
($20).

Went to a nearby hobby store and spent about $15 on construction materials
such as sheet styrene plastic (used one partial sheet for my base approx 6"
by 7.5"). Also bought with the sheets some angle stock in plastic and brass
as well as some hollow square stock. Very useful in construction.

As far as figuring out how to get it to do a simple obstacle avoidance
routine, it was pretty easy. I don't have any programming experience per se,
but I know how to use and "if-then" statement and a while loop. I found a
deal on "C for Dummies" at the book store to use as a reference. ($20 for
both volumes!). I'm still waiting for a copy of "Mobile Robots: Insppiration
to Completion" to arrive. What has been most helpful is the relatively
friendly design and the mounds of available documentation provided by Fred
Martin and other contributors. Thanks guys for making something this cool
accessible to morons like myself!!

Where I'm having trouble is using the sensors. I have already burnt out one
of the sensors I plan to use as a wheel encoder and am currently looking for
a new one (Mouser, I think). I can get simple sensors such as light sensors
to work fine, but I really want to use Infrared detectors for the bulk of my
collision detection. I have not had much luck with this goal. I'm hoping
that some sensors I've ordered from Mouser will fit the bill here. Because I
don't have any electronics experience, a made from scratch IC is a little
out of my reach (for now). Any tips would be helpful in this area.

Anyways, thank you for the kind words. Obviously, I've got more money than
brains or I would have constructed the stuff from a kit and saved some cash,
but again, I thought that might be a little out of my reach. I am an
accountant, not an engineer.

Good luck with your own project!!