 Robotics / Handy Board / 5431
5430  |  5432
Subject:
Beginner's questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:19:33 GMT

Hello again all,

Well, I've got an HB, HB Expansion board, geared motors (motors from
Gleason, gears from HVW, "mashed" to fit), some good batteries and a
downloader. I've also got sensors such as QRB1114 infared detectors,  some
General Electric infrared interrupter switches and a few light detectors.

I've built a small base out of styrene construction materials that has room
for the batteries and boards with a little leftover to spare for mounting
sensors. Not there yet though...

I've successfully gotten the 'bot to do a simple obstacle avoidance using
the one sensor I've gotten to work. Not bad for a someone who has never
messed with electronics or programming before this. (Sorry about patting
myself on the back).

How do I use the matched pairs of infared interrupter switches as a means of
controlling speed of both wheels? As it is now, it appears that all the
power goes through one motor and the "leavin's" go to the other motor. I can
understand some inherent differences in two different motors, but I have to
set the "fast" one at about half power to match the speed of the "slow" one
at full power. I want to use the interrupter switches to do turn counts and
velocities relative to each other and then use varying "goal" counts and
velocities to control movement, rather than directly telling the motors to
go at "x" percentage of power for "y" seconds..

Also, are there infared detectors available cheaply (as in a couple bucks)
that will detect objects at least a few inches away rather than the very
short distances provided by the Quality Tech QRB1114? A bumper switch would
work more reliably than the QRB1114. Can I just go down to Radio Shack and
buy a few high output infared LEDs and an infared detector and rig them up
in a little positioning bracket? By the way, I've tried this and though the
LED is working, the detector I'm using (detector part of a pair of RS part #
276-142) doesn't seem to detect anything (out of the light spectrum
possibly?). I want to have something that will go out to about five or six
inches or more, then I can scale back the trigger value if needed.

Anyways, thanks for reading this far, I can be a little long-winded and the
questions may seem very ignorant of the obvious. Any help would be
appreciated.

If it works or not, I'm having a great time with this stuff!! Thanks to Fred
Martin and anyone else involved in making this stuff available!!

Bob K.

P.S.  CC my e-mail with any response as I can't always find the time to read
all of the postings to this bbs.