 Robotics / Handy Board / 5407
5406  |  5408
Subject:
Problem with my handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 01:46:15 GMT

My handyboard is dead.  It happened when I was fooling around with the
expansion socket J3 and the LCD socket.  I might have induced a short.
Now first here are the symptoms:
- I can download the pcode to the handyboard.  It says the bootstrap was
  successful.  Later it even says that the download was successful.  Then it
  asks me to reset the board.  When I reset the board, it says the board is
not
  responding.
- The LCD has died as a consequence of the short.  I have replaced the LCD
  with another LCD from a working handyboard.  Now the LCD only displays
  blocks in the top row.  This LCD still works in the working handyboard.
- I have taken out the memory chip and loaded it into the working
handyboard.
  The memory chip works.  The memory chip from the working handyboard
  did not change anything on the dead handyboard.
Here are the options I think I have:
- Buy another 68hc11 chip and try it out - in case the 68hc11 chip in the
dead
  handyboard is bad.
- Buy a bare handyboard pcb and populate it with components from the dead
  handyboard using the assembly instructions.  I can test as I go along as
  indicated in the instructions.  Sooner or later I'll come across the part
where
  the components just inserted fail the test.
Is there a more intelligent way out of this?
Regards,
Ameen Suleman