 Robotics / Handy Board / 539
538  |  540
Subject:
How to disable ROM on E9 part?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 20:28:14 GMT

Help!

I'm trying to get my handyboard to go into download mode via
the STOP/Power-On sequence, and it doesn't go into the correct mode.
The PWR LED doesn't go out when I do this sequence.

Have tried downloading with DLM, HBDL, and DL to no avail (makes
sense since the LED's are telling me that I'm in the wrong mode).

I've been told that the part is a 68HC11E9, and so I assume that
I need to somehow wipe out the EEPROM, RAM, and CONFIG register
so that I can disable the security feature, and then rewrite
the CONFIG register with the correct value so that I can begin
downloading.  I just want to disable the ROM, and then will treat
it like an E1 part.

Anybody know how to accomplish these three erasures?  The Reference
Manual states that these three things are necessary before the
ROM can be read or disabled.  I just want to disable the ROM, and
then will treat it like an E1 part.

The 8 mHz clock is running, the E clock is toggling at 2 mHz,
and the reset ciruit appears to be working as advertised, so I'm
pretty sure it is the security features of the HC11 that are stopping
me from downloading.

If the answer involves putting the chip into a real programmer, that's
ok too, as I have access to some.

Any help appreciated.

Curt, WE7U.
hacker@tc.fluke.com