 Robotics / Handy Board / 5324
Re: what variety of 6811 can be used?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 19:59:30 GMT

Hi!

Dear Handy Board Enthusiasts:

I'm new to the Handy Board (stumbled over it about two weeks ago).  I
understand that there are many types of 68HC11 chips--e.g., 68HC11A1FN,
68HC11A8, 68HC11 E series, and so on.
I know that the 'A1FN is used in the design, but can others be
substituted with minimal or no extra effort?  If so, then which chips in
particular can be substituted.  I'm interested in using the 68HC11E1
because of its 512 bytes of RAM.

By the way, what does the "FN" in "68HC11A1FN" signify?

Hi Steve! I've put my hb to work yesterday, but I think I can help you a
bit. The "FN" means the chip has "plcc" package, while the "P" would mean
it's DIP package. The plcc is the one used in the Handy Board, as you can
see the 52 pins are distributed in the four sides making it very compact.
The DIP package is the one used in the other integrated circuits in the
board, and in the case of the 68hc11A1P it has 48 pins, so you can imagine
how big it is.

About the on-chip ram (512 bytes in the e version), I think it won't make
any difference as the HandyBoard memory space won't use it. From what I've
seen briefly in the M68HC11 Reference Manual, it should work with no
problems.

Please ask for your Motorola books right now at the Literature Center in the
Internet. It took about 15 days to arrive here in Brazil but it's VERY GOOD
AND USEFUL!!! If you want I can send you some pages while yours doesn't
arrive.

See you,
Cesar