 Robotics / Handy Board / 5193
Re: Dual Coaxial power jacks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 01:24:17 GMT

good beginner questions...

I am new to the Handy board and Mine is  in the starting phases of
construction.  I would like to ask the more experienced roboticist.

1. Why is there a power jack on both the Handy board and the charger?

you can use either.  if you use the one on the interface, then power
goes through the phone cable to charge the HB.  if you use the one on
the HB, then power goes through the phone cable to operate the ckts on
the interface.

also, in a pinch, you can run the HB with *no* adapter, since the HB's
battery can power the ckts on the interface.

does the Interface need power?

yes,

and if there is a power jack on the
Handy board what is the purpose of the charger?

having the jack on the HB lets you put it somewhere and keep it
charged w/o using the interface.

2. Do you need high voltage motors(12+volts) or can you use regular
DC motors the kind that are used to operate childrens toys?

the ideal motor is 9v.  hobby toy motors are typically 3v and
specifically do NOT work.  please see the FAQ for more info on motor
compatibility:

  http://el.www.media.mit.edu/projects/handy-board/faq/index.html#compatiblemotors

3. Is Interactive C a nessecity?  A friend was telling me to check
if you could use a language from other 6811 boards?

no, but why would you want to use anything else :-)?

seriously, IC is extremely beginner-friendly (once you get it
configured and working).  other options are assembly language and
traditional compile-debug-download-crash C compilers.  these do work;
see the "Commercial Software" page.

  http://el.www.media.mit.edu/projects/handy-board/software/cmrcial.html

Fred