 Robotics / Handy Board / 5177
5176  |  5178
Subject:
Java on Handy Board?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:20:40 GMT

Handy-folk,

I recently discovered that there is an experimental version of
Java for the 68HC11 microcontroller. Cool! It has been in field
testing since June, and looks promising. The developers tell me
that a beta version should be released in a few weeks, and that
they are looking for beta testers. The Java VM runs in less than
6.5k of code memory and less than 100 bytes of data memory.
There is (limited) support for threads, exceptions, and a native
interface, along with a package of classes for accessing CPU
registers, memory and timers. They sent me the documentation,
and I put it online here: http://www.knowpeace.com/robotics/

Let me know what you think about the possibility of running
Java on the Handy Board. If you are interested (like I am)
in trying this out, please let me know. But be sure to contact
Peter Gasparick (mailto: peterg@att.net.au) for more info on the
Java VM implementation. If you do try to get this working on the
Handy board or any 68HC11-based board, please let me know what
your experience is. Also, can anyone tell based on the docs
whether it's feasible to run it on the Hany Board?

Please note that I am not affiliated with this effort in any
way, I'm just drooling over the possibilities for future
robotics software architectures.

Cheers,
Doug