 Robotics / Handy Board / 5153
Re: help again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 19:20:23 GMT

check that the RxD line on the hc11 is properly pulled up to +5v
through R15.

also, make sure you are *HOLDING DOWN* the STOP button until the BATT
light goes off.  this wasn't clear from your msg.

finally, try getting the HB into boot mode with the serial adapter
board not connected.  apply power through the charge jack and leave
the RJ11 jack free.

if you succeed in obtaining boot mode (PWR LED off but board is turned
on) with serial interface disconnected, you can be pretty certain that
problem is in your serial interface.

f.

In your message you said:
thanks to the immediate responses from the mailing list I was able to remove
the connector bug from my handy bosrd and now my interface board is
complete.
But the handy board does not enter the download mode
The sitution is as follows:
Once I provide power to the handy board thru the interface board the red
BATT led goes ON and then goes OFF. The PWR led also goes ON.
If I press the stop switch and provide power to the board the red BATT led
goes on for a brief instant and then goes off as required; but the green PWR
led remains ON. This indicates that the board is not in download mode. I
checked the output voltages at the MOD A and MOD B pins of the 6811 and when
the STOP switch is pressed, the levels are 0 and 0 on both pins indicating
that the 6811 enters the required special bootstrap mode. Once the switch is
released the voltages are 1.4V and 0 V on MOD A  and MOD B pin.

I have also tried to run the downloading software: the green SER LED lights
up on the interface board and remains ON. But the software gives the error
that the board is not in required mode or there is error at port. We have
checked with various ports so I dont think that there is problem with the
port. This means that the board is not entered download mode and this is
supported by the fact that the green PWR led remains ON.

The other problem is minor but if it any indication then; the RED BATT led
goes on for a brief period when the board is switched OFF but after that the
LED partially glows. Meaning if you observe closely the LED is not
completely OFF. Also the YELLOW CHARGE LED which shouyld go ON for brief
seconds when the board goes ON and OFF does not light atall. This was not
the case before we inserted the serial line and stop switch components (ref
4.4 of "assemblying the HB") Earlier the LED used to glow ON and OFF
clearly.

We have tried the whole procedure twice on 2 different PCBs; and have met
with same results. The only 2 things that were common in both boards were
the PCB and the 6811. The 6811 I doubt is faulty as the E clock ouptput is
perfect and the PCBs are as per required design still we face the problem
again .
I am stumbed and dont know what to do!!
We have really worked hard for this project and my entire mechanical
assembly and the IC program are ready; only the HB is giving
problems..........
so please reply at the earliest
thanks in advance
-milind