 Robotics / Handy Board / 5053
5052  |  5054
Subject:
Serial Communication Clarifications for Newbies, Please...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 22:19:05 GMT

Howdy,

I've been playing with my HB for about a month now, and after reading all the
documentation again, I was able to solve the newbie questions that I have
posted few weeks ago...

But now, I'm stuck with serioal I/O :)

Could someone help me answering any/some/all of the questions below, please ?
Also, I'd like to suggest the inclusion of these Q&A to the FAQ...

Thank you in advance,

Andre Philippi.

Serial Communication Clarifications for Newbies

1 - In regards to pa7i9600.icb :
================================

1.1) How to use pa7i9600.icb ? What is the C interface for the driver ?

1.2) Can I use it to get serial input ?

1.3) WHat TTL stands for ? What is the difference from Inverted TTL ?

1.4) Examples of TTL, and Inverted TTL devices ? Or... Which devices are TTL,
or Inverted TTL (Modem, RF-Link, Mini-SSC, etc...) ?

2 - In regards to serialio.c :
==============================

2.1) With another HB:
---------------------
2.1.1) Since the FAQ's cable diagrams display RJ11 connectors,
does it mean that I should discard the interface/chargers on both
handyboards, and connect them directly with the RJ11 cable only ?

2.1.2) Could I connect 2 HBs using their respectives interface/chargers,
and a regular DB-9 RS-232 cable ?

2.2) With PC:
-------------
2.2.1) Is the procedure the same as for connecting 2 HBs together ?

2.2.2) If the above is right, then I should discard the interface/charger,
right?

2.2.3) If the above is true, then the cable is gonna be an RJ11-DB-9, right ?

2.2.4) If the procedure is not the same as for connecting 2 HBs, then
should I use the interface/charger when connecting to a PC's DB-9 RS-232
serial port ?

2.2.5) If I should use the interface/charger, are there any special
considerations in regards to the cabling, or could I just use a regular
db-9 RS-232 serial cable ?

2.2.5) Just out of curiosity... Could I discard the interface/charger,
and connect the HB straight to the PC's RS-232 DB-9 serial port ?

2.3) With another serial device (Modem, RF-Link, Mini-SSC, etc...):
2.3.1) Some serial devices use RJ11 (Mini-SSC), while others use
DB-9 RS-232. Should I always use the interface/charger ?

2.3.2) Can I always use a regular DB-9 RS-232 cable, with the proper
connector (RJ11 or DB-9) at the ends ?

3 - In regards to serial communications in general :

3.1) Is there a way to connect a wireless modem directly to the interface/charger (or directly to the HB), and make it work ?

3.2) Has anybody made this (http://www.vermontlife.com/gary/crystal.html) Embedded 10BaseT Ethernet board to work with the HB yet?

Andre Philippi - Applications Developer   | Phone: 626-296-5016
philippi@corp.earthlink.net               | Fax:   626-296-5113
Earthlink Network, Inc.                   | 3100 New York Drive
http://www.earthlink.net                  | Pasadena, CA  91107