 Robotics / Handy Board / 5041
Re: Miniboard in space.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 02:02:50 GMT

Can you possibly share your complete design (maybe in a web page ?).
That would be a graet service for us all. Thanks

Dave Yoest wrote:

Hi, I realize that this is actually not a miniboard list, but since the
miniboard is actually the handyboards little brother, I figured maybe this
would be of interest.

About a year ago I was asked to help a local high school integrate their
research project into a self-contained experiment to fly on the space
shuttle. Their project involved cockroach research, and they needed to
record roach activity for 2 minutes every 4 hours. This provided 10 days
of recorded video using a 120 minute hi-8 video camera. Since the camera
wasn't programmable for record, we needed a way to control it. I had a few
miniboards around, and they seemed like the perfect solution.

Using Linux/GCC as a c compiler for code development, the camera power was
controlled using a relay wired to motor port 1. We used infrared remote
control on motor port 2 to actually control the camera, since it had a
infrared control system built in. Motor ports 3 & 4 were connected to
small light bulbs, and a photocell connected to the analog port monitored
illumination, The pwm values for port 3 & 4 were adjusted to maintain
constant illumination levels. A simple elegant solution for video system
control.

This experiment flew on STS95 in November (along with John Glenn), and was
returned to the High School earlier this week. Review of the video
indicates the miniboard control system worked flawlessly, and video of the
roach activity in space was recorded as planned.

Thanks Fred for a good controller design! I'll bet that miniboard
has travelled farther and faster than any of the others built.

Dave Yoest
Systems Engineer
AlliedSignal Aerospace
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center